Monday, September 25, 2023

daywalking to recommence

With the approach of fall, and with summer temperatures finally coming down, the time has come to resume practice-walking during the daytime. This will apply mainly to the weekends, but with the Chuseok holiday coming up this week, I'll be doing the Sangju-to-Andong route that I did last year. Come to think of it, I might even strap on my backpack just to be able to train while encumbered. I've also found another route that I want to try: it runs from Gayang Station (familiar territory) to Unyang Station along a western stretch of the Han River. It's only 20-some kilometers, but it'll be a nifty change of scenery. My Korean coworker lives out close to Unyang Station, which is in Gimpo City.

Gayang-to-Unyang route. Click to enlarge. Right-click and select "open image in new tab" for full size.

What makes the new route interesting is that it's the part of the Han that I routinely miss on my way to Incheon. You see the green flag where the starting point is? Not far after that, I normally turn left and west to follow the Ara Canal (아라뱃길) out to Incheon and the west coast (see the canal?). The Han goes its separate way, swinging north and spilling out into the ocean not far from North Korea. I don't plan to go as far as the river's end, and from what I've seen on various maps, that might not even be possible, anyway. But going to the northeastern part of Gimpo might prove very interesting. The area around Unyang Station has a few very large parks that seem worth exploring. After I do my Sangju-to-Andong walk, I'll either hit the above route on the last day of Chuseok break or do the route the following weekend.



1 comment:

  1. I've cycled all the way around that headland to end up back at the end of the Ara Canal. It's a bit hilly in places, it's a bit hard to discern the route in places, and there is a military checkpoint that you need to get permission in advance to cross through but overall it's a nice ride. You can find it somewhere on my strava.

    ReplyDelete